Spring Awakening Ask Box Challenge, 1-40 :)
1. Do you understand the Latin portion in ‘All That’s Known’?
I don’t know Latin, but It’s in In the Flesh, so I’ve read it,
2. What attracted you to Spring Awakening?
At first, the music. Then after that, everything about it. The story, the characters, the lighting; everything.
3. Have you read the original play by Frank Wedekind?
Yes! Multiple times.
4. Do you think Wendla’s mother was wrong in the way she told her daughter how babies were made?
Yes, because I think if she had known where babies come from, things would have turned out differently. Obviously times were different back then than compared to now, but I think she should have been told a little more since she was curious about it.
5. Favorite Melchior: Jake Epstein, Jonathan Groff, Hunter Parrish?
Jon Groff, obviously:)
6. Favorite quote(s) or lyric(s).
I love the whole DDS/BW scene, so I have many favorite quotes from there, especially Moritz’s last few lines before he commits suicide. I also love “I hear your heart… I feel you breathing-everywhere-the rain, the hay…”
7. (If any) In which character do you recognize yourself with the most?
Probably Moritz because there’s been a lot of things in my life that have pained me, so I can resort to the feeling of sadness.
8. Did you have a chance to see the OBC?
I saw most of the OBC, I saw the cast that was towards the end of Lea and Jon’s run. So I didn’t see JGJ :(
9. Favorite tour cast.
I think I’d go with the 1st NT cast (with Kyle, Christy, Blake, Andy…)
10. Who is your favorite character and why?
Moritz, because I can sort of relate to him and I love the character; all his songs and lines.
11. It has been debated that Melchior actually rapes Wendla in the hayloft. Do you agree or disagree? (Specifically the musical, not the original script.)
Obviously he does in the original, but in the musical script I’d say no. They made it seem like at first Wendla’s hesitant, but they definitely made the point of showing her allowing him to do things, and though she was hesitant at first, she wanted to do that with him.
12. Favorite reprise: Mama Who Bore Me (reprise) or Word of Your Body (reprise)?
Word of Your Body (reprise)
13. Did you have a chance to see Spring Awakening in Los Angeles? What did you think?
If only!! I wish I had so bad! I think that even though I didn’t see it, I heard most of the songs and saw video of their Guilty Ones, DDS/BW, and Moritz’s death and I thought they were great! I love that ENTIRE cast, and that’s only happened with the OBC for me, so that means their special. I think they are all talented and I’ve come to know a few of them pretty well (through twitter, Facebook, instagram and they sent me a signed program and poster, so they all have heard about me and read my letter to them), even though I’ve never met them in person, so they’re great. I heard from tons of people that they loved it.
14. Favorite scene in Act 1.
15. What scene did you find to be the most powerful?
16.Favorite ballad: The Guilty Ones or Whispering?
17. Melchior or Moritz?
18. Do you believe Moritz’s father was too hard on him?
Nowadays, yes, but I think in that time period that’s how a lot of parents were. But I definitely think he was harder than most, because it drove Moritz to suicide.
Melchior&Wendla and Moritz&Ilse
20. Do you think Spring Awakening is as controversial as people believe it to be? Why or why not?
I don’t think it is. I think at the time the original was out, I can see why people found it so controversial and banned it, but now, I think it’s honestly not as bad as most things out there. I think it handles all the topics it does in a good way, and kids can learn from it.
21. Ilse or Wendla?
Hm… I’ve always loved Wendla but I’ve come to really get into Ilse’s character lately.
22. Do you really think it was necessary to essentially blame Melchior for the death of Moritz?
No, I don’t think he had anything to do with it. I think it was mainly the disappointment and disapproval from his father that drove him to suicide.
23. If you could wear one characters outfit for a day, who’s outfit would you wear and which one?
Wendla’s “fairy princess” dress.
24. Do you think Jonathan Groff deserved the Tony for his performance as Melchior?
Yes! I think he was amazing as Melchior.
25. Which song do you find the most heartbreaking?
26. Were there any scenes that made you feel uncomfortable; which one(s) and why?
I guess just in person seeing the beating scene, just because most people who haven’t seen it don’t know how to react, so some laugh or some are just dead quiet, so it’s weird, but I don’t really find any scenes uncomfortable.
27. Most played song from the musical on your iPod or musical device?
Those You’ve Known
28. Favorite scene in Act 2.
Those You’ve Known
29. Favorite adult.
30. Do you wish Ilse had more time to develop her relationship with Moritz?
Yes, I guess. I’m not sure if their stories would have turned out differently, though.
31. Favorite/Least favorite song.
Favorite (always changes so right now): Touch Me
Least favorite: don’t have one
32. Who’s a character you wanted to hear/see more onstage?
I like how it focuses mostly on Melchior, Wendla and Moritz, but I would have liked a little more Ilse, maybe. And then any of the other girls and boys.
33. Do you prefer ‘Broadway’ Lea Michele, ‘Hollywood’ Lea Michele, or you see no difference.
I think she’s still the same person, though she’s definitely matured with veins in Hollywood, but I think that would have happened even if she didn’t become “Hollywood” Lea and stayed “Broadway” Lea. But I’d love for her to come back to broadway for a while and be Broadway Lea. :)
34. Favorite Wendla: Lea Michele, Christy Altomare, Elizabeth Judd?
35. Have you heard the workshop demos? What songs do you wish they included or hadn’t replaced?
Yes, I really loved The Clouds Will Drift Away and A Comet On It’s Way, but I think the songs in the show now are perfect, so I don’t wish they hadn’t replaced them, but I still like to hear them.
36. What do you like most about this musical?
Everything. I don’t know if I could pick one thing I like most. I love the music, the lyrics, the words, the characters, the stories; everything.
37. If you had to take over the life of one of the characters, who’s life would it be?
I don’t know… They all had some hardships. Maybe Anna or Thea because they weren’t really abused or died or anything that bad.
38. Favorite youtube video of the cast.
Lea and Jon’s last night, backstage when they’re crying and giving their fair well speeches. They’re so adorable and cute and it always makes me cry. I wish the person who recorded it got Lea’s full message though!
39. How would you feel if Spring Awakening was turned into a movie?
It’d depend on who’s in it and everything. I kind of think that a lot of things in this show are specifically designed for stage, so it’d be weird to see it in a movie version, but is love to see the movie version because a lot of times movie versions can go into more detail and things, but I’d really want the OBC if possible. I know they’re older now, but movie magic in the makeup department can help with that, and even when on broadway they weren’t the age of their characters, so I think they can pull it off.
40. How many times have you seen the musical?
Live, only once (hopefully twice since its in a town near me now), but online, tons. Like 50ish maybe? (thanks to bootlegs haha) I don’t know. Plus I watch certain scenes a lot without watching the whole musical, so, a lot.